Local Time in Yei

Friday, June 11, 2010

Unexpected House Guest

Last Tuesday I received a house guest. My friend, Rachel, came to visit me from Kampala. I am so happy she has come, considering, it is her first time to come to Sudan. I was so excited that she came, but apparently I was not the only one. I had planned for one house guest, instead I received two. The day after Rachel arrived I received another guest; let’s call him… Herbert.  Herbert is a little, grey, beady eyed field mouse. Now, don’t get me wrong I am pro- God’s creatures, but this thing is DISGUSTING and ANNOYING! I have had mice before, but this one acted like it weighed 250 lbs rather than 1 lb. Rachel and I had about 5 sleepless nights because little Herbert had decided he was in Disney Land and my house was his magic kingdom.  Herbert, for your information, you are nothing like Mickey Mouse.  He popped the lid off of my medicine tub and then jumped into the trash can and made a ruckus.  He climbed in my school bag, which was hanging by my head. He even climbed up Rachel’s leg.  We searched for the little bugger, but could never find it. Then, yesterday, Rachel was looking for headphones in one of my cloth boxes and there it was sleeping in the little bag with the cords. I heard Rachel scream and finally had had enough. We put towels under all of the doors, removed everything from the walls, and gathered our weapons (a mop and a broom). We were ready for war!   Herbert began running from corner one against the wall to corner two. He past corner three, sprinted to corner four and again to corner one. Herbert was running a marathon and he is one fast mouse. You could almost hear…Vroom, Vroom, Vroom, Vroom. Once he ran a couple of times I realized that we would have to be the ones to smash him and as much as I wanted him gone I didn’t not want to be the perpetrator in that scenario. So I ran outside and called one of the men to come in and help. But… Herbert had disappeared. We were positive he was only in the one room, but could not find him. We searched high and low. We started picking up thing and putting them away so we could find him more easily next time. He was gone. Than… Rachel was moving a green, metal box and there he was. We accidentally squished him when we were searching for him. There was NO WAY I was picking up that thing so I called our rescuer back in one more time. He picked little Herbert up by the tale and as he carried him away to the field mouse graveyard his little feet were still running in mid air. Sorry, little Herbert, now you get to be in field mouse heaven, which is probably the real magic kingdom!  Say hi to Mickey!   Rest in peace, Herbert, I know Rachel and I did last night!

No comments:

Post a Comment