Local Time in Yei

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

May Newsletter

May 7, 2010
Dear Friends,
249 days, 36 weeks, and 8 months; only four more newsletters to go. Wow! Time has really flown by and now to begin one of those last four newsletters. Yesterday, I stepped foot back onto Sudanese soil. After being away for almost exactly a month I was ready to be back in Sudan. Elections were peaceful and all is calm in the great Southern Sudan so AIM allowed us to return to this great land.  As the rest of my team embarked on the mission to return I stayed behind for an extra week. I have not been feeling well over the last month, so I went to the doctor in Kampala and was given medicine to take care of my bacterial infection. I am getting stronger every day and will soon be fully functioning.
My holiday was full of adventures for me and new things. At the very beginning of my R&R we had a Sudan prayer day. This day was a success and thank you to all who prayed for Sudan all around the globe.  I than got the opportunity to go white water rafting on the Nile river with some friends, that flew in from Kenya. What a rush! We had so much fun in a boat of only five girls and two instructors (one of them was training).  I have conquered the Nile! Well, sorta! We did flip quite a bit; there is no fun without flipping. I am ready to do it again! The day after I returned from rafting I was than privileged to go visit an SIL missionary couple and the Ik tribe up in the Northern most corner of North Eastern Uganda. I learned so much from this trip. This was an exploratory trip for AIM to see if this is future spot for ministry. I loved watching how that whole process works and the conversations and learning that has to happen. The Ik defiantly need education, health care, and most of all… the Gospel! Anyone interested?!
I returned from my trip to the Ik and the next day headed to Kibale(eastern Uganda on the border of Rwanda) for a short-term retreat on Lake Buyoni. This place was beautiful and the retreat was an overall success. I unfortunately became ill and spent the whole retreat in bed. I was than presently surprised when the children of Hope Church called me. Thanks kids! That phone call made my day. Diana Fischer and Maggie put me on speaker phone and Maggies’ Sunday school class asked me questions. They had great questions.
Decisions, decisions, decisions… One part of life that I never did like was making decisions. Sadly, that is what we do every day. It is time for me to make the decision of what to do in August. I have so many choices and not really sure what to choose. So I have been praying about the choices I need to make. Please, pray for me and my next step. Pray that will open and close the needed doors to guide me in the right direction.
May 26, 2010- this newsletter was finished on May 7, but we haven’t had internet in Goli and when we do have it it only works on certain computers, so I have had problems posting blogs and sending this email. Sorry about that. Since May 7 I have gotten malaria again and have had a continuing stomach problem. I am beginning to get frustrated with these health problems and continuous fatigue.
Praises:
-      The encouragement and prayers I get from all of you! Thank you!
-      Elections went well and all is safe in our area of Southern Sudan
-      We have a successful three weeks of the term
-      God’s constant provision and abundance of strength
Prayer Requests:
-      Continued peace through- out Southern Sudan
-      God’s provision in a teacher to take my spot soon, so we can smoothly transition before I leave and so I can spend some needed time on curriculum before I go.
-      My health; that God will give me the needed strength to do my best in all that I do.
-      God’s wisdom in my next step.
Only Because of God’s Amazing Grace,
Danielle Olson

No comments:

Post a Comment