Local Time in Yei

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

All of My April Posts!

April 10, 2010
Psalm 31:23-24
Love the Lord, all you his saints! The Lord preserves the faithful but abundantly repays the one who acts in pride.  Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!
April 10, 2010
Just sitting here…
I have been sitting here contemplating the “Go ye into all the world and preach the Gospel” thing.  Presently, I am sitting on a 4th floor flat veranda overlooking the majority of Kampala.  Up here I can see for miles.  I see house upon house, cars driving, women washing, men working on a roof, children playing, shop owners conducting business and people walking.  It’s somewhat quiet up here, but I can still hear the dimmed sounds of the bustling city, laughter of children, hum of a drill, conversation of nearby pedestrians.  It is like I am down there with them… I am still part of their world, I am in their world, but right now I am still just an onlooker.  Yes, I am still part of this world, because I live it, but am I experiencing it.  I think sometimes this is exactly what we do, as Christians, with Christ’s commandment to go into all of the world.  Let’s face it we are all ‘in the world” is doesn’t matter if we are living in Africa, Haiti, or St. Louis.  I really do not think Christ meant that by going “into all the world” meant moving to another country and living amongst another country.  Yes, that is still going into all the world.  And… God calls some of us to do that, but I really think that Christ meant to “go into” the world.  Don’t just observe from a veranda and smile to a passerby.  Don’t just be another person who live in a place, but be part of that place.  Because, yes it might be nice and neat and somewhat peaceful up here on the 4th floor.  But isn’t beauty found in the people?  Isn’t beauty more apparent whey you are standing face to face with someone experiencing joy and heartache with someone?  Isn’t more peaceful to stand around and chat with the shop owner, wash with women, work with the roofers and laugh with the children.  Because, I strongly believe that that is where God’s grace is and what Christ meant by going into all the world.  I think He meant get down and dirty with others, experience life with them (the up and the downs) and (here is the key) allow them to do the same with you. Don’t just be an onlooker who occasionally helps others, but let them into your world too.  Allow them to experience your ups and downs as well.  When that happens that when you see beauty at the extreme and that is where it is truly peaceful. Amongst the chaos and broken pieces of life we can find peace we can find Christ.  When we are living personally with others and intentionally living like Christ (no matter what continent, country, or city) that is when we are “going into all of the world”.  Well, I have to go- into all of the world.
April 11, 2010
ELECTIONS!!!
This is an email I sent over a week ago. I just wanted to bring it up again, as today is elections. Please, join my team today as we pray for wisdom, safety, and God’s guidance in Sudan. Today is an important day for the nation of Southern Sudan. Please, pray with us.

Hello all of my prayer warriors!

Today is April 1st, some know it as April Fools day, some know it as thirteen days until tax day, but there is another group of people that those two things do not even resonate with this date. Southern Sudanese look at April 1st as ten days before elections. As in any country elections can cause a lot of drama and a lot of he said she said. I want to urge you to diligently and fervently pray for the country of Sudan for the next eleven days. Despite what you might hear in the news, this country is crying out for freedom and independence.  They just want to live their lives; they are tired.  Please, pray that God will rise up leaders that seek after His heart and can lead in faith. Please, pray that God will squash LRA threats, other rebel activity, tribal fighting, corruption of the Southern government, power struggles and tribalism within the Southern government, and the determined spirit of Northern Sudan to infiltrate the South with Islam(by any means). There are many different reports about the elections and not all positive. Please, join the church of Sudan in crying out to God for this country. Pray that God's protection will be upon them and sustain the spirit of hope. This morning I was reading in Exodus 17:8-16 and I came across the story of where Joshua goes to battle with Amalek and whenever Moses holds up his arms Joshua wins, but whenever his arms get tired and he lowers them Joshua loses. Moses asks Aaron and Hurr to hold up his arms when he is too tired to hold them up with his own strength, so that God will prevail and Joshua (through God's mighty strength) will win the battle. I believe that this is what God wants us to do. The Sudanese are tired and sometimes their strength is limited, but as a Christian I firmly believe that God calls us to hold up each other’s arms when we are tired and exhausted in the midst of battle.  Brothers and Sisters! My Sudanese brothers and sisters are fervently praying for God's peace to come over this nation and they are getting weary(as they have been praying for a long time) and exhausted and are in the midst of a serious battle! Please, hold up their arms, as they are fighting on the frontlines of this Spiritual battle in Sudan! Hold up their arms in prayer, so that God can use their willing hearts to overcome the enemy and prevail(He can do it without them, but pray with, please)! Hold up their arms!


May 1, 2010
My time out…
I just wanted to let you know what I did on my time out. My homebase was Kampala, but I was on the move most of the time. My first adventure was going white water rafting with some friends from Kenya, on the Nile in Uganda. I came back and a day later left for Karamoja in North Eastern Uganda to go visit a SIL Missionary couple and a tribe called the Ik. That was amazing experience for me. I got to see the process that Central Region AIM uses to decide on new ministry opportunities.  I also had time to get to know the Wolcotts(Central Region Director), Bylers(my unit leaders), and Tianne(a fellow Sudan missionary) better. It was a great experience. I came back about 8pm and left the next morning at 8am to go to Western Uganda to Lake Buyoni on a Short term retreat. Sadly I really didn’t get to experience the short-term retreat, because I was sick and stuck in bed most of the time. But, it is a beautiful place! When I came back from Lake Buyoni than I privileged to stay with my friends’ the Lewis’(well in their flat) and recover for a week and ½ before I went back into Sudan. Other than being sick, I really had a great time out. I got to spend time with old friends, make new friends, and learn a lot from seasoned missionaries. Although, Sudan’s safety was always in the forefront of my mind and on my heart, my time out was a blessing. Thank you for your prayers!
It’s over…
Praise the Lord! Votes are in and Southern Sudan is safe. There were no large problems and safety is high in the land of Southern Sudan. Even though there were some delays, elections went well. Please, continue to pray for this country and the people. I can’t wait to go see my Sudanese family!



No comments:

Post a Comment