Local Time in Yei

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

June Newsletter

June 1, 2010
Dear Friends,
With every thought, every word, and wherever I go I want to love you all of my days for you are my God and I surrender all… There are three primary age girls standing outside my house right now practicing this song. Powerful words, easy to say, harder to do. 
This month is a big month in my family. On June 7, my parents will celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary and on June 16, my dad will celebrate his 50th birthday. What an amazing milestone month that gives credit and is a true product and testament of God’s grace. I am so thankful for my parents and their Godly example of marriage. I am also so grateful that we, as a family, were gifted to have my father for 50 years(not possible without God’s grace, healing hands, miraculous strength and plan for my dad’s life; if you don’t know what I am talking about ask me about it sometime). So if you see my parents give them a pat on the back or high five! I am pretty sad I am missing these milestone events. You know and next month is my mom’s 50th birthday! Wow, they are really getting oldJ!
I can’t believe it is June! The month that mangoes are ending and rain is coming every day. Ok, so what is happening this month? What happened last month? Let me give you the 4-1-1. Today is great day! Today we got internet back. You really do not know how much you rely on something until it’s not there. I just wanted to let you all know I haven’t been dead just un- connected. Last month I came back to Goli and to rain. Rain is such a blessing for farmers, but a pain for the road.  We do a lot of praying driving back and forth from town. Last weekend all of the teachers went to Yei for time together and time away from our compound.  It was such a fun time. We all did our shopping and then went to the Green Mango for lunch and games. It is so much to let down your guard and just have fun with the people you spend every day with away from our normal lives.
This month started off with a visitor. My friend, Rachel (another short termer who is in Kampala) came to visit me for just over a week. I love getting visitors and just letting them see what life is like here and meet the amazing people I live with. I am so happy she is here and she brought me chocolate. Yum! This month we will get a mid-term break and all of my secondary students are going to Murchison Falls. They are so excited for this trip. I might even go with them! We will see.
Things are going great here; we have parents weekend next week so our kids are gearing up with projects, songs, and skits.  Like usual, my house is swarming with children around.  They have decided that my house is the new art studio, so they have been coming to me everyday asking for paper and markers.  They sit on my porch and color. My house has turned into a gallery and I have no more room for drawings, but they keep on insisting that I take their drawings. I am also running out of paper, but they will pretty much use anything.
So, as all of you are starting your summer breaks remember me. I am still in school, granted I had my summer break in December, learning about World War 1, Vikings, waterfalls, tourism, urbanization, and monopolies.
Praises!
1)   God’s constant provision and strength!
2)   My friend Rachel has come. It’s nice to have visitors!
3)   Our area is still safe and peaceful!
4)   Our term has gone smoothly so far
5)   I have not been sick for two weeks, now!
Prayer Requests:
1)   God’s provision in a teacher to take my spot soon, so we can smoothly transition before I leave and so I can spend some needed time on curriculum before I go.
2)   God’s wisdom in my next step
3)   ECA students and teachers that we can continue to work hard and well together
4)   My parents that have a much deserved great anniversary! My dad has a fantastic ½ century birthday!
Only Because of God’s Amazing Grace,
Danielle Olson



No comments:

Post a Comment