Local Time in Yei

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Not only my heart...

Have you ever heard anyone say that they left part of their heart in Africa? I really think that that is usually very true. As of a week ago I was thinking about how difficult it would be to leave my Sudanese family and did not even want to think about it. Last weekend I spent all Saturday just cleaning and giving away things and packing. I felt as if it was necessary for me to do it right than and it was good that I did. I was saddened to leave my home in Sudan and my friends, but had my whole last week planned out to make it worth while. Little did I know I was not going to get that whole week, but just a day.
Monday morning I started having severe abdominal pain. I went to bed a little early and decided that it would go away by morning. By morning I was having a hard time breathing and could not stand up straight. After being examined by a couple of my friends the management of ECTC decided that the best option was to rush me out of Sudan. They through clothes in a bag for me, gently put me in the LandCruser and we maneuvered our way through the rain worn road of Goli to Yei. After, begging the Eagle Air people to hold the airplane we made it to the airstrip. I held my breath as I chose a seat close to the door and was off to Kampala to be taken to the hospital. As we landed in Entebbe I was too stubborn to ask for a wheelchair so I slowly made my way through customs and out to my unit leader- Phil. We went to the hospital and after some tests I was admitted into the International Hospital in Kampala. Wednesday, morning the doctors confirmed that it was my appendix so they decided we would have surgery Wednesday evening at around 10pm(because the surgeon had been out of town and would not be in until than). I had surgery and it turned out my appendix was inflamed, so it was good it was taken out. I have struggled with a couple of fevers since my surgery, but was released on Friday afternoon. I am now recovering in Kampala at the AIM guesthouse and praying that I will be allowed to go back to Sudan to say my goodbyes(but, the Surgeon originally said no). Three things I have learned through this experience, so far:First, God has perfect timing no matter how strange it may seem at the time and no matter how much it doesn't make sense to us; Ugandan Christians are up front- I had a nurse lay her hands on me and say, "It's ok, God will provide and protect, He is with you" and even other visitors and hospital workers say they would pray for me; Thirdly, how many people God has blessed me with in my life that care for me. Thank you for the many of you that have been praying; I was actually surprised by the number and reminded that God is faithful. Thank you from the depths of my heart!!!
So, I am not only leaving part of my heart and love in Africa, I am also leaving my appendix!

1 comment:

  1. Compliments for your blog and pictures included, I invite you to see the photo blog,
    CLICK PHOTOSPHERA

    Each week released a new album

    You are a big woman!Greetings from Italy

    Marlow

    ReplyDelete