Local Time in Yei

Monday, October 19, 2009

One Step

One step… We all take steps every day. Some of us take many, some us take few, some of us take large ones, and some of us take small ones. Before, I left for Sudan my mom gave me a small plaque that had a pictures of shoes on it and this phrase was written on it, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step". Saturday morning I sat in my front room, drinking coffee and just staring at this plaque. I look at the people I live with and the community of people around and see that they take steps too. A father carrying his daughter, a group of people laughing and chatting after lunch, greetings on the road, children playing, women cooking, or walking to a destination; they are all taking steps. Some of them will continue to love those around them, some of them will stand up against their tribes fighting, some of them will change medical help, some will change education, some will stand up against corruption, and some of them will be there for their families. Steps… We are all taking steps. Where those steps take us, I don't know, but I can't wait to find out.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment