Local Time in Yei

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

October Newsletter



CIMG0482.JPGCIMG0484.JPGCIMG0486.JPGCIMG0487.JPGOctober 8, 2009
CIMG0486.JPGCIMG0487.JPGDear Friends,
I have been in Goli, South Sudan for exactly one month today!
I opened my eyes after sleeping for about two hours; the only sleep I had gotten in two days. I looked around and suddenly remembered I was somewhere over Africa! The continent of Africa! Forty-five minutes later my head peaked out of the BA airplane and in the first time in my life I saw, smelled, and felt Africa.
I have had a month of new experiences. I have flown on a four-seater airplane, I have seen fifty African children running out to see an airplane, I have been on an airplane that was trying to dodge goats, I have seen villages, and I have seen people. I look at all of those new experiences and I cannot help but see God. In the last month I have asked God many times, “Are we really about to do this…what are you thinking?!” He has been reaffirming me by showing me that He has a plan and that He is my stronghold, my fortress, my deliverer, and my grace-giver. God has brought me here to Goli, Sudan and these experiences are part of my own little adventure with Him.  
In my last blog entry I gave a description of ECTC and their heart and ministry plan. I stated that I am working for ECA, which is under the umbrella of ECTC.  On a regular basis I have about five students in all. I currently teach 5th grade Social Studies and Bible to one student and 9th grade history, geography, commerce, and entrepreneurship to two students. I am also getting ready to teach computer literacy beginning in November. Another portion of my job is organizing and developing curriculum mostly in social studies, citizenship, and geography.  This next week we will begin rehearsals for our Christmas program that is taking place on November 13. I have been allowed the privilege of organizing and directing this Christmas program. At ECA we are in the midst of our third term, which is the final term of the school year. We will begin end of year exams soon.
I had the pleasure of finally meeting my AIM ministry partner, Tara, three weeks ago. Tara has been living in Southern Sudan for the last 2 ½ years. I have learned and will continue to learn so much from her. She has been a great encouragement and resource.
In the last four weeks I have learned what Sudanese culture is like. I live in a Sudanese community and I am learning about the history and lives of these people.  I am eating the food and forming friendships.  I am observing my new friends and really trying to become a learner of the culture. I cannot help but wonder as I drive down the road, take a walk, or have conversations about the lives of the people I see. I want to learn about who they are and about what makes them who they are. That is my goal!
One thing that I have learned while I have been in Sudan is that nothing is consistent or goes as planned. Prayer is such a constant comfort. Please, join with me in praising God in the following praises and praying for the following needs.
 Praises:     

  • I arrived safely to Goli
  • My health is doing better
  • All of our theology students are safely here                                                                                                         

Prayer:

  • One of our clinic workers lost his son a couple of weeks ago, please pray for his family.
  • We are having a lot of death and sickness plaguing our staff recently
  •  I can continue to keep my focus on God and His plan here. 
Thank you for all of your prayers, encouragement, notes, and support. I really appreciate it from day to day. Please, let me know if there is anything that I can pray for you about and please, keep me updated on your lives. Have a great day!

A Product of God’s Amazing Grace,
Danielle Olson

No comments:

Post a Comment